book review: a Japanese history that reads like a thrilling novel


Every now and then, a book comes along that is truly unforgettable. 

"Midnight in Broad Daylight" by Pamela Rotner Sakamoto is one of those books.

This story has nothing to with quilts, of course, but I wanted to share this review because this story is so incredible, so beautifully written and so insightful into Japan's days before and after WWII. Once I started reading this, I simply could not put it down. And its all the more incredible because its a true story.

This is the story of one family who lived in two countries - Japan and the U.S. The story begins is a peaceful Hiroshima, and ends in a Hiroshima torn apart by years of war and finally the horror of the atomic bomb.

Two brothers end up fighting against each other during the War. After Pearl Harbor, the American brother had even been sent to the U.S. internment camps with his sister and her young child - taken from their homes and livelihoods. Joining the Army was actually a way out of the interment camp... which must have been an incredible emotional struggle.

The author spent 10 years researching and writing this book. Can you imagine dedicating 10 years of your life to one subject? Her dedication and meticulous research brought this story to life in a unforgettable way. 

I don't read fiction anymore. I'm an avid reader and I used to love fiction. These days I want to read something real and something that will teach me something I did not know. Most often that takes me to history, memoir or current events books.

But I am just as picky with my non-fiction choices as I was with choosing novels. I won't waste my time on boring or bad writing. If it puts me to sleep, then I move on to something else. Reading takes me away from making quilts! So it has to be worthwhile. This one is definitely worthwhile!

This is a story about struggle. It is the struggle of keeping a family living on two continents together. It is the very real struggle of the blurred lines between who is an enemy... and who is a friend. And most of all what it means to be an individual with ties to two countries --- when those two countries are at war.


Comments

  1. Teresa- thank you for sharing. I will put this on my list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts