a red cardinal on black wool



A beautiful red cardinal appliqued on black wool.


The stitching shows up much better in this photo. I started on this piece quite a few weeks back. It is made using fused applique on a gorgeous piece of black wool.  I bought the wool at International Quilt Festival last year and I've been waiting for the opportunity to use it. It seems to me that the high-contrast between the solid black and the red makes the cardinal just pop off the background... and where he's hanging, its as if he is sitting looking out the windows of my new studio. This photo below helps give some perspective on how large this piece is.


The Calder-inspired art quilt in the corner is one I made years ago. I also made the red & white window shade!




This extreme close up was taken while I was still working on this piece. The cardinal body is covered in thread painting... which is a fairly new technique for me.  (In case you are not familiar with this technique, it means I used my Bernina to cover the fabric in thread, using very close lines in a pattern.) The thread painting was done before the cardinal was quilted to the wool... so the thread painted stitches do not show on the back.

I used a 12 wt Aurifil cotton thread. I ordered it online (for another project) and actually got the 12 wt by mistake. Then I decided to try it out on this project. The thread sheds a great deal, but I love the thickness of the stitches... looks almost like hand embroidery with pearl cotton.

Linking up
Off the Wall Fridays
Finish it p Friday


Comments

  1. This is another beautifully perfect piece! Love the red against the black wool and the quilting is amazing! I've never tried thread painting, it really gives a different dimension! Beautiful Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bird is so striking!! How do you like the fusible applique compared to the needle turned/hand stitched applique?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this! Black is so hard to photograph-I can really tell how beautiful it is from the close ups. Stunning piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful piece, Teresa. I love your thread painting - very effective. I tried some 18-wt Aurifil in my Bernina but had so much trouble I changed thread. This makes me want to try again. Did you thread paint before trimming the shape or do it after positioning the pieces? The polka dot fabric on each side isn't as wavy as I would have expected with this much painting on an adjacent fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the effect you have achieved with your thread painting and really like the 12wt Aurifil used like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing the info about the 28 w aurifill. I too have some that I have never used, being afraid it would break on e when FMQ. Did you find that at all? Do you use any backing or batting or just the wool. I would think the wool would be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing!!! The black and the colors go so well together. The threadpainting is fabulous. Congrats with this finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! Wow this is amazing. I just love my Cardinals in my backyard in the Winter against the snow. Your quilt is so beautiful and your quilting is too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts